Friday, December 5, 2008

The Devil in my plant

For my work anniversary this year my boss gave me a plant. Over the past few months there have been character changes in the plant. Half of the plant is dead, dried up and ugly. The other half of the plant is alive, youthful and beautiful. These two halves are very distinct (as you can see below).


The other day I forgot to do something before I left for an appointment. When I got back I learned that people had had to scramble to get it figured out. My boss came in to explain the situation and I pointed to the plant that he had given me. I told him that the devil side of the plant had possessed me to leave without making sure things were in order. (He actually accepted that excuse.)
In similar theory, I have been thinking a lot about "the bigger person" vs. "the littler person". Just once I would like someone to tell me to remain immature and childish and that the other person should be "the bigger person." It never happens. I think it is my destiny to be "the bigger person." Sometimes this destiny makes me irritated. I like being immature and ridiculous dammit!
But then I picture my dad shaking his head in disappointment at me and then I feel embarrassed.
Sometimes I hate taking the step to be "the bigger person" but in the end I usually feel good and strong and, yes, even powerful. There really is power is being good.
Conclusion: I hope that the devil possessing half my plant is exorcised and that my plant lives a long and flourishing plant life.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I feel an Anne of Green Gables moment coming on ...

I totally understand the struggle. My least favorite words growing up (as the eldest child in the house and of two dozen cousins): "Set a good example." Still makes me flinch. And while I've only gotten sillier with age, I always regret moments when I give in and revel in the mud rather than take the higher road. Always.

Alicia said...

BTW -- that's one incredible plant. I have one at work that I keep almost killing, and always gets resurrected. The last time, I had it almost dead but one vine of alive and I think the night janitorial staff took pity on it and nursed it back to life, and put it in the light while I was in Hawaii ... which meant it was out of my sight, and I almost killed it again. Well, I hope almost.

Hmmm ... I don't want to consider the symbolism of my plant ... ;)

I wish I could blame a work forgetfullness on it ...