Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Accomplishments

I was thinking the other day about little life accomplishments. It is easy to dwell on big life failures but little life accomplishments are what keep me going. So I thought I would post just a little example since I thought of it.
A while ago someone wrote me a "i hate you because . . ." letter. It was 12 pages hand written, front and back. It bulged in the sealed envelope that was handed to me.
I knew that a bulging envelope like that could not contain anything that I wanted to read so I didn't. I didn't even open the envelope. I stuck it in my book and basically forgot about it.
A few days later my "hater" called me to apologize for the note. They had been angry and needed to vent. They hoped I would forgive them for the things they had written.
I told them that I had never read the note. They were shocked. Perhaps a little disappointed, and yet extremely relieved. They asked if I was the least bit curious and how I had restrained myself. They called me "inspired." The next time I saw that person I handed them the sealed envelope back. Not another word was spoken about it.
I am not really sure if I was "inspired." In fact, I think I was just cowardly. Recently I received a voicemail from someone that gives me great anxiety. I couldn't bear to listen to the message so I made someone else listen to it and then delete it.
People say things they dont mean. People say things they do mean but feel guilty about later. People dont say things they should.
Regardless . . . I have never wished I had read that letter.

2 comments:

Joel Feik said...

I was on my way out to the mailbox to mail you a 14-page letter, then a twinge of conscience made me read your blog, and boy am I glad I did. How do you feel about long letters that say nice things?

Jeremy said...

I love this post Sara! Absolutely brilliant.